- Gottman Level 3 Training in Centennial, CO
October 6, 2022 - October 8, 2022
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Welcome to Gottman Method Therapy Level 3 Practicum! We are honored to have you take this next step with us in your training and we deeply appreciate your dedication to couples and relationships.
This practicum experience is designed to elevate your skill and comfort in using Gottman method with your clients. We encourage you to review the materials from your earlier workshops in preparation for the practicum. Listed below you will find a checklist of learning milestones for you to review and a suggested reading list.
We have found that preparation for the level 3 practicum experience will deepen your learning of Gottman method and strengthen your use of these technique
Created by The Gottman Institute | For Professionals | Clinical Training
The Level 3 Training content represents the true resistances and co-morbidities we face as therapists and how we can transform them into effective healing methods for the couple.
The workshop is structured to help create a safe and secure environment so participants can learn and practice while feeling free of criticism and negative judgment.
What Will I Learn In Level 3?
You will learn how to select and utilize appropriate tools to help a couple deepen their Friendship System. You will learn how to clarify a couple’s conflicts in terms of solvable, perpetual, and grid-locked problems, and use the “Dreams Within Conflict” technique to help a couple feel hopeful and to achieve break-through with their perpetual conflict.
You will learn how to successfully intervene when one or both partners are flooding, help a couple reach solutions using the Compromise Ovals intervention, and sensitively intervene when co-morbidities are present. Click here for the Level 3 preparation checklist.
Who Is This Training For?
- 200+ page digital Level 3 Clinical Training Manual.
- Certificate of Completion for Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 3 Training upon completion of the event.
- Eligible for up to 20 CE hours (contact trainer for details).
- Eligibility to continue on to the Certification Track.
At the completion of this training, you will be able to:
- Choose a point that is appropriate for the clients at the moment.
- Identify the Four Horseman when one member of a couple exhibits that behavior.
- Specify the couple’s dyadic interaction when one member exhibits one of the four horseman. Describe the Four Horseman to the couple.
- Explain the antidote to the relevant horseman clearly and accurately.
- Recommend to partners alternative ways to express him- or herself using an appropriate antidote.
- Indicate to the couple how to resume communication in a dyadic way. Continue to monitor for the Four Horsemen and solve if they reemerge.
- Identify when one or both partners are physiologically flooded (and not just upset) and stop the interaction between the couple.
- Explain the concept of flooding in clear, sensitive language.
- Explain one or both partners through a relaxation technique before continuing.
- Utilize the Dreams Within Conflict process and goals clearly.
- Integrate Dreams Within Conflict by helping partners ask questions about the dream or deeper meaning imbedded in their specific gridlocked issue.
- Prescribe The Dream Catcher Questions handout and explain how to identify the partner’s underlying dreams rather than looking only at one’s own point of view.
- Interpret the concept of softened start-ups and explain why it helps.
- Explain research showing that the first 3 minutes of a discussion predicts whether that discussion will go well and whether their overall relationship will go well.
- Explain importance of expressing needs in positive terms and instruct the partner to restate their point without criticism and then direct them to resume dyadic interaction.
- Critique the couple’s interaction when one or both partners are not accepting influence.
- Explain the need for accepting influence (which may include reference to research). This includes finding a way to honor some aspect of their partner’s position, with a focus on yielding and accepting influence rather than on persuading.
- Differentiate between the concept of offering and accepting repairs vs other communication methods, explain why the concept is useful.
- Analyze the Repair Checklist and explain its use.
- Extrapolate appropriate Gottman Oral History questions and stay on track with sensitivity to couple’s issues, while building rapport.
- Conduct an Oral History interview with appropriate timing.
- Conduct an Oral History interview with sensitivity to issues of co-morbidity.
Case Discussion in Certification Practicum
Participants are asked to bring a short (approximately ten minutes) video segment (on DVD or USB thumb drive) of difficult and challenging couples to the Level 3 Training. The therapist’s work with the couple will not be critiqued. In fact, the video does not even need to show the therapist, just seeing the couple is all that is needed.
The purpose will be to use these couples to illustrate how the Gottman Method can be applied to these tough cases. The trainer(s) will describe how they would treat these couples and then participants from the audience will volunteer to role play these couples with the trainer(s) demonstrating using a variety of interventions with these couples. Participants will then have the opportunity to practice using these interventions in a supportive small group setting with other participants’ role playing the couples from the videos.
Bringing a video tape isn’t required, but it will help make the training more meaningful for everyone. If you cannot bring a taped segment, it would help to bring a brief written description of a challenging couple for the same purpose. This is for Case Discussion within the context of Certification Practicum ONLY and is not related to the videotaped interventions submitted for final Certification Review.
We are not able to support the following video formats: Mini DVD’s, “High-8,” alternate or nonstandard international formats, such as “Super-8.”
Help Couples In Distress
Flexible Study Format
Thousands of clinicians worldwide have completed Level 3 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy. Here’s what some of them have said about the workshop.
“The Gottman Method is so useful and relevant to my work and marriage. I am incredibly grateful for the instruction and guidance. It’s been my privilege to have participated in the Level 3 practicum workshop.”
– Anonymous evaluation from Santa Cruz, CA
“This has been the best training I have ever attended. I appreciate all the research that has been done, which makes it easier to sell to individuals who are skeptical about couples counseling. This theory is so practical. I am excited about the opportunity to become a Certified Gottman Therapist. Thanks for such a wonderful experience.”
– Anonymous evaluation from Portland, OR
“I loved the feedback from the consultants during the role plays. They were all excellent. I also loved the roles plays when John and Julie were the therapist. So helpful to see this in person. This was a great overall experience! I can’t wait to get to work helping couples!”
– Anonymous evaluation from Seattle, WA
Caralee Frederic, LCSW
Caralee Frederic, LCSW
Student eligibility: Students/Military/First Responders
After final deadline, contact email@example.com to inquire if seats are available.
Have a promo code? Choose your ticket and register. Enter and submit promo code on payment page.
On the payment page, choose "PayPal." Then, you will have the option of paying with PayPal or with a credit card.
$200 Credit to Attend Couples Workshop With Your Partner
Attend a LEVEL 1 or LEVEL 2 or LEVEL 3 TRAINING and get $200 credit to attend Gottman's The Art and Science of Love couples workshop presented by Caralee Frederic, LCSW. Credit good for up to one year of the date of the Level training.
When you attend the workshop, you must show confirmation of attendance to a Gottman Level training. Credit will be given after the workshop.